Kiwanis Club of Steilacoom : Membership
Fact Sheet about Kiwanis
- Steilacoom Historical School District Office (Old Pioneer School)
- 511 Chambers Street
- Professional Development Center
- Thursday Mornings from 7:00 AM until 8:00 AM
- For directions: Dick Muri 253 439-9797
Benefits of Belonging to Steilacoom Kiwanis include:
- Kiwanis is a global organization of volunteers dedicated to changing the world one child and one community at a time. ~ Kiwanis defining statement, adopted October 2004.
- Kiwanis is an Indian word for self-expression. The Kiwanis Motto is "We Build." The Kiwanis Mission is "Serving the Children of the World."
- Kiwanis is not a social club (although friendships and fellowship are created through Kiwanis). Kiwanis is not affiliated with any religious or political organization, and it is not a secret society.
Expectations of Belonging to Steilacoom Kiwanis:
- Achieving personal satisfaction through contributing to worthwhile causes that the club participates in...
- Sponsoring youth service clubs: the Key Club at Steilacoom High School, the Builders Club at Pioneer Middle School (both of whom have many Dupont students participating) and the K-Kids Club at Chloe Clark.
- Providing scholarships to graduating seniors.
- Taking part in Paint Tacoma/Pierce County beautiful where members paint the home of a low-income senior citizen or disabled person.
- Working with other community groups to help build the playground at Chambers Bay Park.
- Providing financial support to the children living at the Child Study and Treatment Center.
- Supporting Kiwanis International Programs such as the Iodine Deficiency Disorder Project.
- Gaining fellowship and information through weekly club meetings.
- Helping individual pinpoint their community's needs and working with others to provide solutions.
If you are interested in joining the Steilacoom Kiwanis Club or in just coming to a meeting to find out more what it is about, please contact club president Harley Moberg at 253 584-4454.
- Attend as many meetings as you can: on Thursdays from 7 to 8 am at:
Old Pioneer Middle School, 511 Chambers Street, 8th Grade Wing;
breakfast is available for purchase.
- Take part in club service projects and fund-raisers. Fund-raisers include: wine tasting dinner and auction, pancake breakfasts, and selling flower pots.
- Take an active part in the club by attending an Interclub meeting with other Kiwanis clubs, finding a speaker, attending a Board meeting, bringing in a new member, or contributing "Happy Dollars."
- Pay yearly dues of $110
- Having fun
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Our meetings always begin with the Pledge of Allegiance, the singing of My Country 'Tis Of Thee, and an invocation. We also pay tribute to our neighbors to the north by singing O Canada. According to club member Brad Randall, the reason we sing O Canada has more to do with history than proximity. Kiwanis was founded in Detroit in 1915 and the following year, 1916, it branched out across the Detroit river into Canada, thus quickly becoming international. The Kiwanis Club of Steilacoom is in the Pacific Northwest Division which includes the Yukon and British
The Pledge of Allegiance
I pledge allegiance to the Flag
of the United States of America
and to the Republic
for which it stands,
one nation under God,
with liberty and justice for all.
My Country 'Tis of Thee
My country tis of thee,
Sweet land of liberty,
Of thee I sing.
Land where my fathers died!
Land of the Pilgrim's pride!
From every mountain side,
Let freedom ring!
O Canada! Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide, O Canada,
We stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
Kiwanis Club of Steilacoom
P.O. Box 88282
Steilacoom, WA 98388
Mark Haskins, President
Dick Muri, Membership Chairperson ~ 253 439-9797
Contact ~ Email
Meetings: Steilacoom Schools District Office (Old Pioneer School)
511 Chambers Street, Professional Development Center (PDC)
Thursday Mornings from 7:00 AM until 8:00 AM
Dar's By Design